Saturday, July 30, 2016

Review: Escape From Pelican Rock Island

Hello and welcome to Poptropica Secrets! Today, I will be discussing what I like about Escape from Pelican Rock, and, as per usual, what I dislike about it, all in this handy dandy review. There are many positives and many negatives, so this won't be easy, but I'll try.

First of all, this is a weird yet popular storyline. The plot of "criminal's doppelganger gets arrested because the police don't know which is which" is nothing new. This story has been done a bunch of times, even in shows like The Rifleman and Mr. Bean, and games such as Super Mario Sunshine. This storyline is so overdone that there's a joke about it in The Simpsons Movie. But if you think about it, what are the odds that you will meet someone who looks just like you, who just so happens to be a criminal? Very little, I do believe; but that's just me being pessimistic, as I am about most things. This island doesn't do anything new or different with the trope; but since there are multiple other things that go into making an island, let us now continue.

The music in this island is actually decent. It's not as great as Timmy Failure Island music or the Monster Carnival Main theme, but it's pretty good. I've been listening to the main theme for around 10 minutes, and I have yet to be annoyed. It also features some piano, which is really nice and soothing.

The scenery is wonderful. It has some of my favorite art of any SUI Island. I especially like this part

and this scene
and most of all, this thing.

Just kidding. I really like the coloring of all of the island, though, I especially like the prison cell and the license plate factory.

The items may be my favorite part of this island. The Cup of Plaster, for example, looks like it could be sand or whipped cream, but it also looks like what it's trying to be (as far as I know; I haven't seen wet plaster in real life).
Also, since someone at Poptropica (probably social media representative Skinny Moon) reads my blog, I was wondering if I could trade all of this gum in for a Nintendo 64.
I would probably remake that old horror movie trope (the one where a random person wakes up with a disembodied horse head next to them) with this item, should I have an item similar to this.
If knives are ever banned in your country,
consider making yourself
one of these to murde- I mean cut meat with.

Last of all, the most important factor, the gameplay. I'm going to tell you immediately that it is hit-or-miss. Your character gets to do the same thing every day so you get countless tries to complete what you need to do. Then again, if my I missed something in the license plate factory and I need only that, I have to experience supper, the whole night, and recreational time before I can retrieve the desired item. Another thing I would like to point out is that the ventilation system is fun, and reminds me of the pipe game from Tokyo on Game Show Island. The island has satisfactory gameplay in some fields, yet obnoxious gameplay in others.

Well that's my review of Escape from Pelican Rock Island! Is it as good as Timmy Failure Island? No, but it sure is up there, and I can't wait to see what the next island will be. Goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment